Hill Country Memorial (HCM) was awarded a 2012 Five-Star Hospital/Birthing Center/ Midwife Registration award by the Texas Department of State Health Services Vital Statistics Unit for meeting state criteria registering births. HCM has received the Five Star Award in 2004, 2008, 2009 and 2011. They have also previously won the Exemplary Five Star Award in 2010.
HCM was one of only 18 hospitals to receive the honor in 2012.
Medical Records Director Bonita Mathisen with Guillermina Balderas, Dana Butler and LaVerne Jenschke to receive the award at the 58th Annual Texas Vital Statistics Conference held at the Renaissance Austin Hotel, in December.
“I am so proud of the exceptional work these ladies do every day. They strive to ensure a high level of quality and timeliness in the filing of our new babies’ birth certificates, while presenting themselves as knowledgeable professionals able to assist in all aspects of the filing process,” Ms. Mathisen said. “Medical record-keeping is a key component of our hospital-wide mission of remarkable care.”
Hill Country Memorial Hospital OB Director Stephanie Ammons, RNC-OB, BSN, said the record-keeping recognition reflects a hospital-wide focus.
“Our vision is to be the best community hospital anywhere,” she said. “These awards give us a sense of how we compare to other hospitals, and we’re certainly honored to be recognized by the State of Texas.”
2012 Five-Star Criteria for Hospitals are: Criteria for Qualification
• Timeliness: Complete 90% or better of birth registration released no later than the 5th day after the date of birth between January 1, 2012 and September 30, 2012.
Hospitals, Birthing Centers and Midwives that completed 99% or better of birth registrations released no later than 5 days after the date of birth will be considered for an Exemplary Five-Star designation.
• Training: Attend the 2011 Annual Vital Statistics Conference or one of the 2012 Regional Vital Statistics Conferences, tentatively scheduled for June, and complete the Online Hospital Self Assessment Survey. The survey will be available via www.texasvsu.org by spring of 2012.
Hospitals, Birthing Centers and Midwives who attend both the 2011 Annual Conference and one of the 2012 Regional Conferences, or send 2 or more staff members from the same facility to one of 2012 Regional Conferences will be considered for an Exemplary Five-Star designation.
• Paternity: Must be a recipient of the Office of Attorney General Award for Acknowledgment of Paternity in the Federal Fiscal year of 2012.
• Accuracy: Less than 5% of all birth records filed at your facility had one or more of the key required statistical fields marked “unknown” as a response between January 1, 2012 and September 30, 2012.
• ImmTrac Performance: Must be a recipient of the Department of State Health Services ImmTrac Award for Excellence for the year of 2012.